situated south to Lemberg
Koenigsau (German); Rowne (Polish); Riwne (Russian)
German settlement on the old estate of Medenice in the Drohobyc district. It is situated 22km in the north-east to
Drohobycz and 6km in the south-west to the district court and the post-office of Medenice. Josefsberg is situated in
the north and Bilicze, once the railway station of the archduke Albrecht, in the north-west. Kawsko of the Strij district
and Letnia are situated in the south-west. In the very centre of the village [of Koenigsau, B.P.] there is a church
which is surrounded by an open square. Village buildings adjoin the square in form of a regular pentagon. There are
five streets running from the centre to the the five corners [of the pentagon, B.P.]. The village itself is surrounded by
fields, meadows, and heaths. The village lies 309 metres above sea level in the south-east and 305 metres in the
The river Niezachowka runs in the east of the area, taking up a few minor streams on the way. The smallest of them,
Jastrzybna, runs at the borderline to Kawsko. The fields enclose an area of 1296 Austrian acres, the meadows and
gardens make up 58 Austrian acres and the heaths have 15 Austrian acres. (1Austrian acre = 57,55 Ar)
Accoding to the description of 1880, the village housed 675 Roman Catholic inhabitants. The Roman Catholic vicarage
is within the village, whereas the Greek Catholic is found in Letnia. The wooden church and a school were built
without budget in 1846. The latter housed only one class of pupils. The community have 485 sloty in their loan stock
to their disposal.
Bredetzky writes about this colony: (Historischer Beitrag zum dt. Kolonialwesen in Europa, Brünn, 1812) (Historical
Contribution to the German colonialism in Europe, Bruenn, 1812) ...80 houses with 400 inhabitants.
extract from: vol.IV, Buchstabe Kes-Kut, Jahr 1884 /
"Geographisches Wörterbuch des polnischen Königreiches und anderer slawischer Länder"
editor: Filipa Sulimiersiego, Bronislawa Chlebskiego und Wladyslawa Walewskiego
translated by Birgit Pfeifer
Village map of Koenigsau